Have bleeding after having ECP. Can a doctor make out that I had the pill?

May 2013
hi..i had a contraceptive pill because of which i am having heavy bleeding from past 7 days.This is the 2nd time in a month i am suffering from heavy bleeding. Now my mother want me to see a doctor. I am worried whether doctor would come to know about me taking pill.
1.Can you please guide me whether I shoud see a doctor or not as I don't want my mother to come to know about me taking contraceptive pill ?
2. Does a doctor comes to know that i had ipill till the time i don't tell her?
3. For how many days will this bleeding last?
Posted Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

According to your description I am thinking that you took the emergency contraceptive pill.
You didn't mention when you took the pill.
-Means after how many hours of the intercourse you took the pill.
-At which part of your menstrual cycle you took the pill.
-How many days back it occurred.
If you provide these details I can answer your questions.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: Have bleeding after having ECP. Can a doctor make out that I had the pill? 16 hours later
- i took the pill within 24 hours after taking the pill
- my regular menstrual cycle was already over on 15th dec and then i took pill on 20th dec and bleeding started again on 21st dec.
- It occurred 9days back.

I hope i have answered all your questions.Please answer them asap.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 11 hours later

As you took the emergency pill within 24 hours of the intercourse possibly it will give protection towards pregnancy.
Emergency pill can alter the menstrual cycle depending on the period of menstrual cycle when you took it.
As you took the pill in the first half of the cycle it might have preponed your cycle, that may be responsible for your present bleeding.
For more details:

Now your questions:
1.Bleeding due to emergency pill will usually subside soon. So, if your bleeding is gradually decreasing day by day, you can wait and watch.
But if your bleeding is not decreasing or increasing in quantity better to consult gynecologist once.
2.If you do not mention about the pill, doctor may think that your inter-menstrual bleeding can be because of some other causes like hormonal imbalance, thyroid abnormality etc. and will order battery of investigations. So better to tell during examination when you will be alone with her .
3.Usually the bleeding should subside by 5 to 7 days. But this can vary from person to person.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.