Have bladder infections caused by sexual intercourse, painful and bleed a lot. Given nitrofurantoin. Suggest?

General Surgeon
Question
Every year I have 3-4 bladder infections caused by sexual intercourse. They are very painful and I bleed a lot. I have to miss work and all. I am looking for a homeopathic remedy that I can take to prevent having it.
My primary physician has given me nitrofurantoin to take 1 daily for a year. 3 months after I stopped it the infection came back. I know all the tricks to prevent it but nothing helps. Cotton underwear, good hygiene before and after sex, voiding before and after sex. My obgyn also gave me tip to wipe iodone around the area before sex which I incorporated in my routine. Still, the infections come harsh and strong.
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

As you seem to be prone to urinary tract infection, there are some tests which can be helpful in determining the reason of such infection. Diabetes is a very often reason of urinary tract infection as bacteria needs sugar to grow. So elevated glucose level in the urine will allow bacteria to cause an infection. That is why it is good to check glucose blood level.

It is possible that some antibiotics resistant bacteria is preset in your urinary tract, and an intercourse triggers and infection. That is why it is good to make urine culture test when the symptoms appear. This test allows to determine which bacteria is causing an infection and which antibiotic will be the most effective.
Abdominal ultrasound before and after urinating should be also done to check if there is any urine collection in the urinary bladder after urinating.

Natural remedies which might be helpful are cranberries supplements and Lactobacillus Acidophilus vaginal suppositories might be helpful. You should also try to urinate right after the intercourse.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have bladder infections caused by sexual intercourse, painful and bleed a lot. Given nitrofurantoin. Suggest? 13 hours later
Would the cranberry supplement get rid of the bacteria if taken daily?
I am on nitrofurantoin until Monday. When would be the right time to have an urine culture done? Do I need to wait for another UTI?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 hours later
Cranberry supplements wont get rid of antibiotic resistant bacteria if any present. It rather protects urinary tract from new bacteria appearance.

Urine culture should be done a week after stopping an antibiotic. It can show bacteria presence, but does not have to. So the most valuable urine culture is when UTI symptoms are present (as the amount of bacteria is ample).

Hope this will help.
Regards.