Ask a Urologist   »  

How serious is it to have urinary tract infection with reduced kidney function?

I just found out I have a UTI. 50 megaCFU/litre Klebsiella pneumoniae organisms. My hemoglobin is moderate and leikocytes large.WBC is too numerous to mention and RBC is 11-30. Apearance is turbid. How serious is this? Thank you for your time. My Rx is apo-sulfatrim 400-80mg 2 pills bid.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Severe UTI Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query You have a urinary tract infection with reduced kidney function most probably secondary to the urinary tract infection itself. It is a serious infection and will require treatment with antibiotics for a prolonged period of time. I advice you the following 1. Continue taking antibiotics as prescribed, repeat urine routine and culture after 15 days to know the effectiveness of the treatment 2. Usually we advice the patients to drink plenty of water, but since you have reduced kidney function I advice you to inquire with your doctor about fluid and salt intake per day 3. Please avoid unprotected intercourse for the next 15 days, always void urine after intercourse I would like to add here that UTI is treatable and we have successfully treated many UTIs, it is important that you are compliant with the treatment and take your antibiotics regularly. I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me. I wish you good health and a speedy recovery Regards