Have bicuspid aortic valve. Taking Celexa for anxiety. Blood pressure 140/80. Suggestions?

Excellent

Cardiac Surgeon
Question
I have a bicuspid aortic valve.. no other issues.. last checked 5 years ago... I am 32 years old... is it XXXXXXX for me to take Celexa for anxiety? I do have borderline blood pressure at 140/80 but am a very healthy eater and exercise well , nonsmoker, moderate drinking.

I have not been diagnosed with heart disease or hypertension....
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ravindra Setty B.R. 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
dear sir, i would like to know the severity.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,
There are a good number of reports that aortic stenosis is commonly reported with people on Citalopram(Celexa). Due to the risk of QT prolongation, Celexa use at any dose is now discouraged in patients with any of heart conditions.
I would like to know the severity of aortic stenosis. This will help us to determine the indication for surgery. there is an entity called asymptomatic aortic stenosis in which you will have no symptoms but the heart will be affected. so please get a latest echo done informing us the valve area and valve gradient.

I hope this answers all your questions.
thanking you,
Dr Ravindra setty.

Follow-up: Have bicuspid aortic valve. Taking Celexa for anxiety. Blood pressure 140/80. Suggestions? 1 hour later
latest report indicated no stenosis and trace regurgitation... the aortic root was 2.84.

Answered by Dr. Ravindra Setty B.R. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
dear sir,, there is nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:
dear sir,
as per your latest echo report with no stenosis and trace regurgitation there is no need to worry about your heart. only you need to get a echo once a year to see for any progression of the aortic valve disease. You may ask your Psychiatrist for alternatives for anti anxiety medicines.
I hope this answers all your questions.
thanking you,
dr XXXXXXX setty.