Have arthritis, dry mouth, feeling tired, experiencing pain in neck and shoulder. How to treat this?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi. I am 46 and have arthritis. For about the last two weeks I have been having shoulder and neck problems but over the weekend the pain which feels radiating has traveled down my arm to my wrist and down the left side of my body past my knees. When I'm standing I feel a tightness in my calfskin. Also my mouth is very dry and my gums have started to cause me pain. I feel as if there is pressure being applied to my head at the left side like something's pushing at the top of my head and I'm fighting against it. Also I feel tired. I've had feelings like this before but they haven't lasted as long. I've had arthris since I was nineteen and over the years I've coped and I don't always go to doctor when symptoms are like this cause I feel with all the complaints I've had over the years I feel like a hypoconriact.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

You might suffering from cervical spondylosis. It is a common degenerative condition of the cervical spine. It is most likely caused by age-related changes in the intervertebral disks.Radiation of pain down your arm and wrist (radiculopathy) basically suggests entrapment of a nerve root in your cervical spine in its origin or course.

I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the cervical spine under his/her guidance to look for arthritis or other changes in your spine.

Your doctor after diagnosing the condition may refer you for physical therapy. The physical therapist will help you reduce your pain using stretches. The therapist will show you how to do exercises that make your neck muscles stronger.
You can take analgesic and muscle relaxant after discussing with your doctor.

You also need some life style modification like-

Do not sit for prolonged period of time in stressful postures
Do use firm collars while traveling
Do not lift heavy weights on head or back
Do not turn from your body but turn your body moving your feet first
Do turn to one side while getting up from lying down
Do the exercises prescribed regularly
Do use firm mattress, thin pillow or butterfly shaped pillow
Do not lie flat on your stomach.

Hope this helps you.Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.