Have a smooth hard bump on the back of hand. Popped it but grew back. How to get it out?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a smooth hard bump on the back of my hand. It does not hurt; however, it has been there 6-7 months. I know I need to get it checked out, but I have no insurance and they do not XXXXXXX when you are self-pay . . . .any advice? I tried to "pop" it thinking it was a blister, but it grew back.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 49 minutes later
Hi there.

Since when have you noticed the lump?

Has it grown quickly or slowly?

There are many possible causes of this lump. Commonly when developed at the back of the hand it could be a fatty cyst or a Lipoma. Since it is not hurting, it may not be encroaching on any vital structures on your hands.

The diagnosis of this lump will be uncertain unless your Surgeon evaluated it with a thorough physical examination. If the lump is not of benign pathology it may need surgery. Lipoma usually does not require surgical removal unless it is large, cosmetically unsound, painful or causing nerve damage or restriction of movement.

Do not attempt to 'pop' it as it can lead to serious infection which may require debridement and hospitalization. It would be best to get it looked at by your Surgeon as the final decision on its management lies in the Surgeon's hands.

As of now you may take care not to bump the lump anywhere hard as this can lead to blood collection and pain. Do not manipulate it. If any pain or redness at the site after the 'pop' attempt, you can apply Fucidin cream on the wound.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Have a smooth hard bump on the back of hand. Popped it but grew back. How to get it out? 1 hour later
I attached a couple of pictures and I hope this will help. I noticed it 6-7 months ago and it grew slowly; now it appears to have stopped growing.

Hopefully the pictures will help you.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 42 minutes later
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

I have reviewed the attached photos.

It looks less likely a Lipoma.

It is possible it could be a viral infection caused by Molluscum contagiosum. It spreads by touch. It requires no treatment but if it is cosmetically blemishing it can be removed by Cold Nitrogen therapy also known as Cryotherapy or by Electrical cauterization by a qualified Dermatologist. Kindly do not attempt to pop it.

I hope I have answered your query.