Have a lateral plateau tibia fracture of the knee with a tear in the meniscus. Will it be cured without surgery?

Good evening. I have a lateral plateau tibia fracture of the left knee with a tear in the meniscus. I have been in a brace since the 11th Of Oct. I have blisters now under the brace and my doctor says that I don't need surgery because I am 43 and not an avid runner.. Is this true?
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 4 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
I am Dr. Kulbir Singh and read your query wit diligence. Fracture of lateral plateau of tibia does not need any surgery if
1. The fracture is not displaced or minimal displaced.
2. The fracture line does not involve the articular surface of the joint and not depressed.
3. If the fractured part is small and stable.
4. The depression is less and Knee joint is stable.
5. To minimize the risk of post-traumatic osteoarthritis.

The line of treatment for such patients should initially be immobilized and non weight-bearing. If the fracture proves stable over time, the patient may be transitioned to a hinged knee brace with a gradual increase in motion. The patient should remain non weight-bearing for the majority of 12 weeks to prevent displacement. As your doctor as advised you. So keep in touch with your doctor.

Other major cause that surgery is not the choice of treatment in your case is Nerve damage to the left leg with poor circulation. That may delay the process of healing after surgery. Now you have blister formation at the site, so you need to elevate your leg as much as you can to reduce swelling and blisters. If blisters ruptures than get aseptic dressing done and get a course of antibiotic by consulting your treating doctor. Do active movements of the toes so the circulation can be improved as you leg is at rest and elevated.

You can upload you X-ray with your query so that we are able to see the fracture and guide you better. Hope I have answered your query. Write back if you have any related query in your mind.

Best Wishes and get well soon
Dr. Kulbir Singh