Have a growth where tonsil once was, bleeding after applying pressure

I have a growth where my tonsil once was, I just put pressure on it and alot of blood came out
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

I would like to know some more details to understand the condition better and opine you specifically.

Did you have your tonsils removed ?When and what was the indication for the same?
Is there any pattern in the appearance of the growth present now ?
Since when did you notice the growth ?
Are you loosing appetite and weight ?
Did you get the growth examined by a specialist ?

Waiting for your reply,
Follow-up: Have a growth where tonsil once was, bleeding after applying pressure 15 hours later
Had my tonsils removed in February of this year. The only pattern of the growth is that it grows after I eat. The fact that I can "pop" it by putting pressure on it with my fingernail relieves it of size. Sometimes it is a clear fluid filled pouch. Other times it's darker in color from blood being present. It normally happens after eating citrus or sour food, or sugary drinks. I scheduled an appointment with my ENT who performed the tonsillectomy but he is out on vacation. My concerns would be that it is a possible cancerous lesion. I'm 29 years old, no tobacco products and light drinker.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 hours later

Thanks for the information.

Based on the history I suspect it to be a scar tissue loosely attached to the pharyngeal mucosa.There would be an exposed blood vessel just beneath which oozes out blood on touch or any other irritation.

Throat cancers usually present as solid or cauliflower like growths.

An examination by an ENT specialist would ascertain the above fact and also if necessary he may ask for a Biopsy test to be completely sure of what exactly it is.

Meanwhile do gargle with antiseptic solutions like CHLORHEXIDINE twice daily after food for three days.This will prevent any infection and avoid further worsening of the lesion in the throat.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.