Have PCOS. Gained weight. Delayed periods. Suggest diet plan?

Mar 2016

hi this is XXXXXXX .28yrs old I have got pcos .doc has suggested me to have ovral L and told me to walk for 45 mins .Can you suggest me some diet plan .my weight is 74 kgs and height is 5.1 .I got married in the moth of dec 23 2013 after that my periods started geting posponded by 2 to 3 months and i have gain weight .
plz suggest some diet plan
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your attached ultrasound scan report and it reveals bilateral Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).

Key Treatment Protocol: 1) Low carbohydrate diet with more green vegetables 2) Regular moderate to heavy physical exercise by means of running/ jogging/ treadmill/ walking to reduce body weight 3) Hormonal medication like Ovral-L as prescribed by your doctor to regularize monthly period 4) Avoid mental stress by regular yoga or meditation for 15-30 min 5) Insulin sensitiser drug like Metformin
to prevent type 2 Diabetes (given in some cases).

Your BMI (Body Mass Index) is 30.80 according to body weight and height. Your ideal weight would be around 60 kg to get regular period naturally and enhance fertility to some extent. Following diet plan should be maintained:

Basic concept is calorie limitation or avoidance of taking extra calorie. Your daily intake of calorie would be 1850 Kcal if you have moderately active lifestyle.

AVOID FOODS: Rice, cheese, ghee, soft drinks, mayonnaise, sauce, sugar and sugar free tabs, dairy products, chocolate, potato, ice-cream, red meat. You must cut down all your fatty foods and sugary beverages.

DIETARY FOODS: It includes chapati, pulses, brown bread, citrus or dried fruits, nuts, chicken, fish, olive oil, honey, dates, egg white alone, green vegetables. These are low calorie food stuffs and you can easily take them. You must drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and better systemic circulation.

Lastly, you can consult with your DIETICIAN or XXXXXXX INSTRUCTOR if you fail to reduce your body weight in desired level.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Let me know if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Have PCOS. Gained weight. Delayed periods. Suggest diet plan? 12 hours later
thanks a lot Dr
Answered by Dr. S Patra 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

You are most welcome in our Healthcare Magic Platform. Just follow previous diet plan and advices.

In addition, you must undergo one thyroid hormone function test (T3, T4 and TSH) to exclude hypothyroidism which can cause obesity and irregular late period.

Hope, I have guided you properly. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Have PCOS. Gained weight. Delayed periods. Suggest diet plan? 22 minutes later
thanks again . I will get thyroid test done .
Answered by Dr. S Patra 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
OK. You can review after that.

Dr Soumen