Have PCOD and want to plan my family. Prescribed fertomid. Missed periods. Suggested susten. Getting spotting. What does this indicate?

Mar 2016

Hey!! I have PCOD and want to plan my family now. My doc gave me fertomid and post which i went for follicular study... I have missed my periods and acc to the follicle study the egg has ruptured. The doc has suggested susten 300 for 5 days twice a week. On the second day, am getting a little spotting. What does this mean?
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mostly Early Pregnancy. Do home pregnancy test.

Detailed Answer:

Fertomid contains clomiphene citrate which is an ovulation induction drug. It triggers ovulation by rupturing ovarian follicle which is represented on follicular study. It is a normal thing.

Now, you have gotten missed period and little spotting. It may be a sign of early pregnancy. Here, you need to undergo one home pregnancy test at the earliest to rule out possible conception.

In addition, blood test for beta-HCG can be done for confirmation of pregnancy after 7 days. Trans Vaginal Ultrasound scan (TVS) will give additional detailed picture of the growing embryo and help to rule out other possibilities (if any).

Kindly, consult with your gynecologist after doing above mentioned tests for next line management. Till then, you would take balanced diet and maintain genital hygiene.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health. Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Have PCOD and want to plan my family. Prescribed fertomid. Missed periods. Suggested susten. Getting spotting. What does this indicate? 15 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. What is susten300 given for?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Susten is given to support pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up query.

Susten contains micronised progesterone. It is usually given to support pregnancy and prevent possible miscarriage if it is suspected. However, you need to confirm your pregnancy by above mentioned tests at the earliest.

Basically, susten has a supportive role to carry a healthy pregnancy. It is quite effective in prevention of early or threatened miscarriage. So, you must continue the prescribed medication and folic acid supplements if pregnancy is confirmed.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen