Have GERD. Taking medicines for acid reflux. Taking neksium. Got patulous junction. Can I work out?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have an GERD problem from last 12 years. I am taking medicine to cure the acid reflux problem. I recently had endoscopy and got the PATULOUS GE JUNCTION 37 CM. I am currently taking neksium 40 morning and neksium 20 night time before meal. My doctor told me that I should never do work out (weight lifting in gym). Because it cause me this problem. I want to know is this is true and i cannot be work out or lift weight anymore. Also suggest me some latest better medicines if available in the market.

Thanks
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in GERD

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should not lift heavy weights.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

Yes, your doctor is right.
You should not lift heavy weights.

Anything that increases the abdominal pressure will worsen GERD.
While lifting weight, the abdominal muscles contract and increase the abdominal pressure. This increase in abdominal pressure worsens GERD.

Neksium is a good medication only and you can continue taking it.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have GERD. Taking medicines for acid reflux. Taking neksium. Got patulous junction. Can I work out? 2 hours later
Hi Doctor Sir,

Thanks for your reply. I really respect your opinion and I will take care that precautions.

Last two things. Will I have to take medicine life long? Is there no permanent treatment for my PATULOUS GE JUNCTION problem. Can it goes to its previous position with medicines and change of life style.

If I have to take Neksium life long, Is there any side effects for that?

Please let me know better solution if there is?

Thanks Again.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for getting back to me to ask more questions.

No, there is no need to take medication life long. Lifetsyle changes alone would prevent recurrence of symptoms to great extent.

The only permanent treatment for patulous GE junction is surgery. Fundoplication can be done to make it tight. But this is only the last resort when all the other measures fail. For you, I suggest medications when there are symptoms and lifestyle changes for effective control of symptoms.

Neksium is a very safe medication. It does not cause any serious side effect Some of the common side effects I have noticed in my patients are head ache and diarrhea.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini