Harmful to take i pill? Side effects? Affect reproductive cycle? Safe to take oral contraceptive pills? Condoms 100% effective?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Is it harmful to take ipill once in a month , will there be any side effects? Will that affect the reproductive cycle in the long run ? Is it safe to take oral contraceptive pills ? Is using condoms 100% effective ?
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 14 minutes later

You should not take emergency pill more frequently. There should be at-least two months gap between two pills.
Repeated usage of emergency pill can affect the fertility.
It can lead to short term side effects like nausea, bloating sensation, irregularity in periods etc.
In long run it can cause menstrual alteration leading to menorrhagea, polymenorrhea etc. It can also alter the pattern of ovulation and can lead to poly cystic ovary syndrome.
All these can affect the future fertility. Repeated usage can lead to decrease effectiveness of pill and rarely it can cause birth defects in fetus also.
For more details: http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/08/emergency-contraceptive-pill-short-term.html

If you use low dose oral contraceptive pills for shorter period, they will not lead to much side effects. And can be used after consulting your doctor.
Usually condom usage may not give 100% protection. But if used carefully in proper way, maximum protection can be expected.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Harmful to take i pill? Side effects? Affect reproductive cycle? Safe to take oral contraceptive pills? Condoms 100% effective? 17 minutes later
We had unprotected sex last night, although he did not ejaculate inside me do chances of pregnancy still exist ?Does pre-ejaculatory fluid contain sperms ? I have been taking ipill once in a month for 3 to 4 months but my periods have been regular, but m worried as per your reply it shouldnt be taken regularly. My doc has prescribed me Familon as an oral contraceptive tablet, but I have not been taking it and we are using condoms. Is Familon safe , that is can the side-effects like weight gain etc occur ?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 11 minutes later

Yes, sometimes pre-ejaculate fluid can contain few spermatozoa.
The possibility of pregnancy depends on:
-The period of your menstrual cycle. Means if you are in ovulatory period the possibility of pregnancy will increase.
-Whether there is any breakage of condom or spillage of semen etc. If nothing was there, the possibility of protection is high.
So by taking all these factors into consideration, you decide whether to use the i pill or not for this time.
Then from next month you start taking familon as adviced by your doctor.
Compared with some other pills familon is having low dose of hormones. So the possibility of weight gain is less. You can go for regular exercises to maintain normal BMI.

Follow-up: Harmful to take i pill? Side effects? Affect reproductive cycle? Safe to take oral contraceptive pills? Condoms 100% effective? 2 days later
I have heard that its better to plan a baby before 30 in order to not cause any complications. Medically what is the advisable age to have a normal and smooth pregnancy. Also let me know the symptoms to judge if pregnancy has occured. Can consuming contraceptive pills affect the chances of pregnancy in future, do they have any effect on health ?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 48 minutes later

Yes, usually better to plan pregnancy before 30 years of age.
Generally age between 20 to 30 years is better age to plan pregnancy.
But many women with good health can have normal pregnancy and delivery after 30 years also.
In early pregnancy symptoms like: nausea, vomitings, giddiness, bloating sensation, fullness of breasts, increased frequency of urine etc. symptoms can be seen. But just by symptoms we cannot confirm the pregnancy and it needs a test either urine or blood test to confirm.
Generally if contraceptive pills used only for limited period they may not affect the fertility.
They can cause minor side effects like nausea, breast tenderness, irregular spotting etc. But these will subside soon and severe side effects are rare.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.