Hard lumps on toes, painless. Started with new footwear. Do I need to worry about RA?

I have hard lumps near my toes on the mid and the second finger since 1.5 years.They are painless.It started when i purchased a pair of new shoes and use to walk a lot.Since i changed them the lumps are shrinking , besides that i do not have any other problem , no pain , no stiffness, no fever, no joint problem or other symptom of RA.I'm 36 and healthy otherwise and exercise without any problem .Do I need to worry about RA?
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

Probably both are ganglion. But there are rare chances of bony swelling (like osteochondroma, enchondroma etc).

But there is very less chance of rheumatoid arthritis. In rheumatoid arthritis last stage we see rheumatoid nodule but it is not painless and rheumatoid arthritis always initially produce pain , swelling, morning stiffness etc. and lastly some case we see rheumatoid nodule. So please don’t worry for RA.

Do an X-ray of foot, RA factor and blood routine investigations.

Consult an orthopedics, tests to be done on his opinion and follow his advice for further management.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly