Hair loss medication side effects, drug interaction with cholesterol medication

I am a 31 year old male and I am interested in taking finasteride (Propecia 1mg per day) to combat and control my hairloss. I have no complicating medical history other than the fact that I have 1 functioning kidney (it has been stable since discovery in 2001; creatinine stable at approx 120mmol/L, very mild if any proteinuria, all bloods normal, eGFR 60ml/min). I take 5mg Innovace and 20mg Lipitor daily (family hx of hypercholeserolaemia). My cholesterol and BP are stable.

I was just wondering whether you felt that it is acceptable to take Propecia not just with my medical history, but in general. I know the side effects and based on my review of the medical literature, it seems that side effects are reversible upon cessation of the medication. It seems to be the best solution to combat hairloss but I would like a medical opinion.

Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 5 hours later

After going through the description provided by you, I feel that you can go ahead with finasteride, but only after consulting a Dermatologist.

We have to first ascertain if you actually need it or not. No doubt that it is one of the best treatments for male pattern baldness when given with minoxidil lotion.

But whether you need it or not is decided by the extent of baldness you have.

Coming on to the safety of the drug, it is quite safe to use. Side effects like Erectile Dysfunction occurs only in 1% of the patients and as you have rightly said, it is reversible on stopping the drug. And as your kidney function is reasonable, there shouldn't be a problem with that too.

So please see your Dermatologist and discuss what's best for you.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Wishing you a good health.