Had unprotected sex. Taken Next Choice. Had early period. Is this normal?

Hi, my name is XXXXXXX I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend on the last day of my last period, I took the next choice one dose tablet about 12 hrs later that same day thrn2 weeks later I had a period which was 2 weeks early. Now its the week I was supposed to have my period and it hasn't come is this normal? I'm scared we aren't ready for a baby right now and my obgyn can't see me until the end of next month
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later

These emergency contraceptive pills can change the length of your menstrual cycle and may result in your periods earlier. However if your next period also gets late then, you might consider getting a pregnancy test.

It is always expected to get your periods earlier whenever a emergency contraceptive pill is taken earlier in your cycle before your ovulation.

I don't think there is any need to worry.

Wait for your next cycle and if it gets delayed, then get the pregnancy test done. You should wait for another week to get the pregnancy test done, which in my opinion should be negative.

Another thing is that there was no need to have taken emergency contraceptive pill on last day of your menstrual period, as menstruation in itself is the safest period where pregnancy can't take place after an unprotected intercourse.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck.