Had unprotected sex. Not much bleeding during periods, pink mucous was there. What can it be?

Mar 2016

hi, ok here it is. Ive been having unprotected sex. this sex took place a few times before my expected period but all times were within 8 days before my period was posed to come. my period came 2 days early. it was weird. I wiped and, light pink mucusy stuff there. then I didn't bleed heavy maybe a few dots all day. next day bleeding gets heavier not enough to fill a pad. blood only came out when I went to bathroom and wiped. the color of blood changes. I usually have a very very heavy flow. this is light and no clots either. what's going on with me
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 59 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

Here, you need to rule out implantation bleeding or miscarriage which is mostly corresponded with your clinical features. For that, you should undergo one blood test for beta HCG level & Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan) at the earliest. Following test report, you can consult with your gynecologist for next line of management.

In exclusion of conception, other reasons are hormonal imbalance, stress/ anxiety, irregular diet habit, psychological factors, vaginal or pelvic infection, weight gain/ loss etc.

For such case, you may require some additional investigation like thyroid profile, complete hormone assay, blood sugar & prolactin level, vaginal swab culture, endometrial biopsy following D & C etc. In addition, pelvic examination is required to pinpoint the diagnosis. Proper treatment depends on underlying etiology.

Do the following things that can help you:

1) Take healthy diet and drink more water/ juice, eat fresh fruits/ vegetables.
2) Avoid salty/ spicy/ fatty food and take iron & folic acid supplements with diet.
3) Avoid stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset by yoga/ deep breathing regularly.
4) Maintain genital hygiene & take a sound sleep with complete relaxation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Not much bleeding during periods, pink mucous was there. What can it be? 21 minutes later
do you think It may be implantation bleeding? Or I may be miscarrying? I was told that implantation bleeding is brown or black. That it only last for a day. what I have been going threw well this is the second day. I'm just a little confused cause by periods are strong like heavy and painful I hate them. this however is less painful and extremely light for me I usually don't stress hardly ever. I haven't been stressed. but this kind of period is weird for me. I always get my periods on time and they are pretty ugly. sorry if to much info
Answered by Dr. S Patra 23 minutes later
Hello Friend,

Thanks for your follow up query.

It is quite true that most common presentation of implantation bleeding is brown discharge. But you have to rule out both by above mentioned investigations to clear confusion before proceeding to any other intervention steps.

You can do one home pregnancy test easily. After that, you can opt for blood test & TVS scan. These are more reliable and gives accurate result.

Following test reports, you can consult with gynecologist for next step of management. You should follow previous suggestive measures for healthy life style.

Hope, this helps. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Good luck. Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen