Had unprotected sex. Experiencing sore throat and swollen uvula. Chances of getting STD?

Hello, I have a few questions. I have been a little sick for the last 4 days, just the normal sore throat and flem but just yesterday my uvula has swollen up and I can feel it on my tougne. I have had lots of fluids and rest and I feel a lot better although the cough has now set in. Now my problem is that about 3 weeks ago I slept with an escort and used protection, however with this cold and swollen uvula I am worried I may have picked up an std from her. But everything seemed normal and a the weird thing is I had sex with a chick friend and she was not sick but is now sick with not all but similar symptoms. Is there any chance an std is possible from this?? And how long should it take for the uvula to come back to normal?? Oh and is there any tests to confirm whether I have and std?

Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
First I want to tell you are not suffered from STD. It has symptoms like discharge from penis or vesicles in mouth or itching. Thickened uvula with cough is sign of sexually transmitted disease.
You need to do gargles with warm water and steam inhalation. As there is no active cough now no need of antibiotics. For symptomatic relief you can take syp Tylenol twice a day.
Also no need to do any test for STD at this stage. If you have above mentioned symptoms then needs to consult board certified dermatologist.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Experiencing sore throat and swollen uvula. Chances of getting STD? 9 minutes later
Thanks for answering so quickly, however I did not put it in the last message but I have 3 small ulcers that have appeared yesterday inside my mouth on my bottom lip. It is the first time I have ever have had ulcers, does this change anything or did they appear cause my immune system is down and trying to fight this viral infection? Also I do have an annoying cough that makes it hard to sleep so what should I get for that. And one last thing how long should I wait before I go to the doctor and get medication as it is day 4 almost day 5 of this annoying flu.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 22 minutes later
Hi, welcome back.
You are correct in respect of ulcers it can due to ongoing infection. You can wait for 1 to 2 days more . If there is no symptomatic relief or decrease in symptoms then need to consult your physician for clinical examination.
For cough take tables cetrizine and gargles with warm water. Hopefully it will resolve the symptoms.