Had sudden pain in heel and foot. Hurts to touch. What should be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. My husband is 65 and had no heel pain or any other type of foot pain until yesterday. We went to a waterpark with our grandchildren. He doesn't remember anything happening to his heel other than he MIGHT have hit it on the diving board when jumping off. After that jump he has not been able to put his heel down to walk. It hurts too much.
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
From your description it seems that your husband has suffered a minor fracture in the area of the heel. A take care of the pain.
To help the pain, ice the area. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce pain, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime.

A 4-inch wide Crepe bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort.
In case these measures are not helpful then consulting an orthopedician for X-ray is advisable.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.