Had sex without ejaculation. Started spotting. Home pregnancy test negative. Is there any risks?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
My last period began October 5, and ended October 11. Typically my boyfriend and I engage in dry sex, however on October 12, things escalated slightly and he began to rub himself directly against my vaginal area. We did not take it any further, and I have never been penetrated. No penetration occurred, and I do not believe there was any ejaculation, however precut is possible and I was quite wet. I am on the pill however, in the past I have taken it sporadically as I was on it for my period rather than as birth control. I tried to endure my period by skipping pills on the 20th and 21st, and experience minimal bleeding and brown spotting for six days. Still scared, I took a an early response home pregnancy test today and it was negative, yet I worry. I intend to take the second test tomorrow morning but am not sure if that is a good idea, or if another negative would make me feel any better.
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Firstly, if you are sure that there was no penetration and ejaculation, then there is no chance of pregnancy.
You have done a mistake by skipping pills. It may induce bleeding, but it is withdrawal bleeding, not the normal, endometrial bleeding. Taking pill is important for contraception. So, you stopped the drug when you need it most. Because, these pills prevents ovulation, fertilization, anchoring of newly fertilized ovum in the endometrial cavity.

Timing of doing a pregnancy kit test is very important. In pregnancy, it is positive on or after the first day of missed period. So, to do this test you have to calculate the next date of menstruation. Suppose, you have a regular, 28 days cycle, then your expected date of next period is 1st November. So, you have to the test on or after that day to get confirmed result.
If you have any more doubt, do a beta HCG Level estimation in your blood. It will confirm the condition. Final investigation you may need is ultrasound scan of whole abdomen.

Summary: Do not do the test in tomorrow morning. Do it on or after 1st November. If you are not convinced with the result, then you can test the beta HCG level estimation. An ultrasound scan of whole abdomen may also be considered.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Regards.