Had sex on the first day of periods. Chances of pregnancy?

i had sex with my man on the first day of my periods, on the second day night it stopped and on the third day it again started continued till 4th day, iam very confused,can i get pregnant?.we did not use any protective barriers or pills
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chance of pregnancy almost nil

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I understand your situation as having unprotected sexual intercourse on day 1 of onset of periods. Medically speaking the onset of bleeding indicates the shedding of uterine lining due to the absence of pregnancy. Hence this is a time when pregnancy will not occur even if you have unprotected sexual intercourse.

If you have had regular periods and this period occurred on the dates as expected then the chances that you may be pregnant are almost nil.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr. A. Rao Kavoor