Had sex, delayed periods, spotting in previous month, hyperactive thyroid. Pregnant?

I had sex 4-6 days after my last day of my period in July. I have a hyper active thyroid but nonetheless regular. I was engaged in high activity (hiking) during the month of August and when i was suppose to get my period that month, I spotted for a day instead of getting it fully. Now this month (Sept), I am 1-2 days late.
Am I pregnant?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 minutes later
Last month you only had spotting for one or two days and now your period is again overdue by 1-2 days. In my opinion what you had last month was your implantation bleeding. This is a small bleeding or spotting that is seen when the embryo attaches itself to the uterus lining.
You definitely go for a urine for pregnancy test available at all the pharmacies as your chances of being pregnant are high.
If at all the test comes negative then you need to consult your gynecologist to rule out other possible causes of delayed periods.
Hope my answer is adequate. Please get back if you have any follow up queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.     
Follow-up: Had sex, delayed periods, spotting in previous month, hyperactive thyroid. Pregnant? 52 minutes later
OK - thanks for the prompt response.

If my test comes back negative then what other possible cause would delay my period?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The other reasons of delayed periods may be hormonal imbalance, emotional upset, anxiety, stress, or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism, post pill amennorhea , polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that may be the cause here after the pregnancy is ruled out.
Wishing you an early recovery.