What causes decreased sexual drive when on antidepressant drug?

I, my name is XXXXXXX 45 years old, recently i was diagnosed by my doctor to have mood disorder with depression due to stress and fatigue from work... That result in a 3 1/2 months stop from work. Then he prescrided me this medication you must know "cytalopram 20mg" My question is that i am very concerned about my sexual drive since i take this medication. I mentionned that to my doctor and he thinks my medication is not the problem, but i don't agree with him. I have made research about my sexual drive problem and i found that low testosterone level would cause low bone density which my dentist told me i have, i have also mood swings still. Before i took this medication, i didn't lots of sex with my wife and since this medication my sexual drive is worst. So would you think i have a low level of testosterone? would you think i have a prostate problem? Please what do you suggest?
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Citalopram effects sexual drive;check testosterone Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Well you are quite right when it comes to citalopram and its side effects. One of the common side effects includes a decreased sexual drive, impotence or even difficulty in having an orgasm. If your libido/sexual drive has indeed decreased or worsened after initiation of this medication, then I would recommend a visit to your doctor and requesting for a change in prescription. As for the primary cause for a low sex drive, this could possibly be due to a reduced testosterone level, or due to various other causes. But testing your testosterone levels will certainly help sir. But, there are various other factors that can affect sexual drive (eg. stress, medications, poor level of physical activity, obesity, reduced attraction towards your spouse, etc.). Please also discuss these possibilities/factors with your doctor sir. A prostate condition cannot really be predicted, but it is age-related and is usually seen in men above the age of 50 years. If you do require to confirm/rule out this as well, you could request for an ultrasound examination of your prostate gland sir. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.
Follow-up: What causes decreased sexual drive when on antidepressant drug? 13 minutes later
Like i said, i am 45, 160 pounds, so If we have a low level of testosterone, what do you think is the best to rise it, medication, exercise more, eat food with more vitamin D...
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Approaches listed in order of their effectiveness Detailed Answer: Hello sir. If you do have a low testosterone level then treatment to help increase your testosterone levels would include various approaches, I shall list them out in order of their efficacy and my preference: 1. Testosterone replacement therapy (eg. medication, pellets, implants, etc.) 2. Exercise 3. Diet rich in protein and various other nutrients (less in sugars, fat and carbohydrates) 4. Multivitamin supplements I hope this helps clear your query sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I am always available to help. Best wishes.