Had sex. On mirena iud. Getting cramp with spotting. Chances of pregnancy?

I had my second baby via c section october 2nd and then had a mirena iud put in november 15th. Just had minor cramping after. Now for the past few days ive had painful cramping and.spotting started brown.and now pinkish. And.still having cramps. My.husband and i had sex november 16th the day after the iud. Could i be pregnant? This seems like implantation bleeding. Ive.never.had period.cramps.before and am just spotting very light.
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 48 minutes later
Hello I would be happy to help you with your question.

Pregnancy in this setting is very unlikely. It should be checked but this would not be my main concern. The IUD can be associated with bleeding and cramping, but more likely it is behaving like it may have assumed an abnormal position, especially as the uterus gets smaller as it returns to its normal size.

You need to contact your doctor for a visit, exam, pregnancy test, and ultrasound to assess its position.

I hope this helps!
Follow-up: Had sex. On mirena iud. Getting cramp with spotting. Chances of pregnancy? 4 hours later
If it is in an abnormal position us pregnancy likely? Should we use a back up birth control method such as condoms? Why am i having the spotting now and didnt have it after insertion?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
If it is in your uterus, then pregnancy is very unlikely. And yes, until this is sorted out, a backup form of protection is highly recommended.

I am not certain why it is happening now and not before. As I stated, perhaps the intercourse shifted its position, or even worse, perhaps it fell out!

While it is perfectly acceptable to place an IUD at your 6 weeks postpartum, I personally like to wait a little bit longer for these very reasons.

Let me know if you have additional questions!