Had sex. Missing period for alternate month after taking pill. PG test negative. Can I still be pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I last had sex five months back (3rd and 4th May) and took the morning after pill for precaution though there was no ejaculation. I had my periods of 18th May, then on 16th XXXXXXX and then again on 20th July. However, today is the 21st of September and I have not had my periods since 20th July. I had read about women having periods even when they were pregnant (implantion bleeding) and was worried. So I took a home pregnancy test yesterday and the result was negative. It should also be mentioned that my periods were normal and continued for the usual 4-5 days. Can i still be pregnant? If not, what is causing the problem?
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 9 hours later

The chance of pregnancy is less in your case because:
There was no ejaculation.
You took emergency pill within time.
Had three cycles of regular periods after that.

It is true that cyclical bleeding can be seen in some women on their expected dates of period in early pregnancy.
This occurs because of endometrial reaction and the blood is visible outside till the gestational sac completely occupies the uterine cavity and covers the cervical os.
But this is rare occurrence, so the possibility is very less.

The other possible causes of delayed periods are:
Recurrence of poly cystic disease of ovary which can cause menstrual irregularities.
General conditions like anemia, thyroid disorders, stress and strain, weight changes, recent illness etc can affect the hormonal balance and can lead to delayed periods.

So now what you can do is:
Consult gynecologist and undergo physical examination and ultrasound.
Which will rule out pregnancy and also can find out the possible causes like PCOD.
If needed you can go for hemoglobin estimation, thyroid profile etc.
With this primary workup the possible cause for your problem can be identified and treatment can be given accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had sex. Missing period for alternate month after taking pill. PG test negative. Can I still be pregnant? 14 hours later
Thank You so much for your answer. It was really helpful. I will be going to a doctor in a couple of days. However, there was something else I wanted to ask as well. My cystic ovary was first detected in an USG in 2009 but the doctor I was seeing then did not do anything about it but gave me iron tablets instead. Since then my dates have been here and there but I did not miss a month other than this August. Do you think the PCOD has recurred and is it serious? Moreover, I was into gymming 5 days a week till first week of August and then stopped completely. Could this have contributed to the problem?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 hours later

The cysts of ovaries are of various types.
Functional cysts are harmless which will occur due to hormonal fluctuation and subside soon.
These are of two types follicular cyst and corpus luteal cyst.
So probably you might have had this type of cyst and maybe because of that your doctor didn't keep any treatment.
Poly cystic ovary disease is a condition which occurs due to hormonal abnormality.
In which ovary can have multiple cysts with more than 10 in number and with less than 1cm in diameter.
In this condition menstrual irregularities can be seen.
This is a common condition seen in many women with treatment available.
But chances of recurrence are there in it.
Stopping the exercises may also contribute to menstrual irregularity by causing change in weight, affecting the hormonal balance etc.

So by consulting gynecologist and by undergoing examination and investigations the possible cause can be find out and treatment can be taken accordingly.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had sex. Missing period for alternate month after taking pill. PG test negative. Can I still be pregnant? 2 days later

I went to the doctor on Sunday morning. He checked my blood pressure and heartbeat and said there was noting to worry about. He said that it might be the PCOS which was acting up again. He gave me medicines which will start my cycle once again. However, he did not ask me to get a sonography done. I am planning to seek a second opinion and have taken an appointment with another doctor on Thursday evening. I was thinking of not starting the pills before I seek the second opinion. Do you think that is a good idea?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later

Usually when a patient approach for delayed periods doctors will give progesterone tablets for withdrawal bleeding as first line of treatment.
Many people will get withdrawal bleeding with it but some with both estrogen and progesterone deficiency or having some other problem will not get.
So there is nothing wrong in seeking second opinion and taking tablets after undergoing ultrasound.
As by this the possible cause of delayed periods can be identified and future recurrence can be prevented.