Had protected sex. What test should be done? Can I go for pcr dna?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016
Excellent

OBGYN
Question
I had protected sex on 8 th that is 1 month before.also i did fingering and deep kissing ..kindly help me what test should i do right now to confirm ..i thnk pcr dna has less window period..which test should give me 100% confirmation..
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most Sensitive Test Is PCR DNA.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on XXXXXXX

With protected sex using latex condom (no break/ slip), you have very low chance of getting HIV infection from infected partner. If your partner's status is known and she is HIV negative, then you have nothing to worry about HIV infection.

For your concern, most sensitive & specific test for detection of HIV is PCR DNA. It detects genetic material of HIV instead of antibody in blood. It is also known as viral load test. It has less window period and usually done after 28 days from last exposure for accurate result. Kindly, consult with your healthcare provider or contact with laboratory to perform the test as early as possible.

Hope, above information is helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health. Practice protected & safe sex always.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had protected sex. What test should be done? Can I go for pcr dna? 19 minutes later
Where could i have test in navi Mumbai..so sir after 28 days is the report give 100% confirmatory report...plz confirm if negative that will be the final test

Which is a better clinic in navi Mumbai.partner status is working as an sex escort..

Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
PCR DNA-95% Sensitive. Ranbaxy Pathology Lab.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up query.

For HIV detection, PCR DNA is a highly sensitive and reliable test in comparison to other available tests like ELISA or WESTERN BLOT technique. PCR DNA gives more accurate result after 28 days from exposure. It has 95% confidence level for HIV detection. For 100% confirmation, it is better to undergo one ELISA test after 3 months additionally.

In Navi Mumbai, there are several laboratories which are undergone these tests. Ranbaxy Pathology Lab (SRL), Religare labs are better test center.

As your sex partner was an escort, you have to undergo the HIV test as early as possible.

Hope, I have answered your queries. If you do not have other query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. All the best.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had protected sex. What test should be done? Can I go for pcr dna? 7 minutes later
Thanx ..one last question..i have a doubt ..that means i have to do elisa test after 3 months after pnr dna test..

Or anything to confirm early than 3months

I read in public forum,, pcr DNA is more than 99% confirmative
sorry if m worng...

Answered by Dr. S Patra 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PCR DNA test is more confirmative.

Detailed Answer:

For 100% confirmation, you have to undergo one PCR DNA test as early as possible and one ELISA test after 3 months to detect antibody against HIV infection.

If both tests are negative, then you have confirmly ruled out HIV infection. Kindly, proceed above mentioned tests in the recommended test centre.

Dr Soumen