Ask a Homeopath   »  

How accurate is PCR and DNA test for detecting HIV?

Oncologist
Question
Thanks dr. Will do . Merry xmas . May i asked you is pcr and dna test if hiv are the same ? How good this test at 11th day of exposure ? The whole thing i have inserted my finger inside the ass of a female unknown status to me . This finger had a ciggarrett burn 36 hours before the insertion. I started pep at 82 hours after the possible exposure . Was my risk big ? Was it good idea to start pep even at 82 hrs ? I am going home by this friday i.e at 12 th day of exposure so how good pcr or p24 or dna at 11th day of exposure ? The pep i am taking is callrd odiver -400 kit
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Siddha

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 days later
Brief Answer: Followup Detailed Answer: I feel your risk of exposure is low. I think it is important for you to obtain confirmatory testing. I would wait at least another four weeks and then get tested again. Otherwise you will continue to worry on a daily basis. If you get a confirmation testing four weeks this should be the ultimate determination. PCR and DNA is essentially the same. Dr. G

Follow-up: How accurate is PCR and DNA test for detecting HIV? 9 minutes later
Thanks dr . I have given blood sample today for p24 and real time pcr test . Do you suggest me to continur the pep ? How effecient the pep at 82 hours of possible exposure ? I read some advisrs says should be taken with 72 hours and anithet advisor said within 5 days XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Consideration. Detailed Answer: honestly I would not even test anymore right now. I would wait several weeks and then test one more time and then you can finally have peace of mind.

Follow-up: How accurate is PCR and DNA test for detecting HIV? 2 minutes later
This fine dr. My question if you dont mind how effecient pep when taken at tge 82 hours after the possible exposure ?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 hours later
Brief Answer: follow-up Detailed Answer: this is almost impossible to answer period, It definitely decrease his risk if you have real exposure. It seems that you have developed a significant amount of anxiety about this. I would suggest that you try to talk about this with your doctor or try to see a psychologist to help focus on more positive aspects of your life and not fixate on this particular issue. This is the only way he will move forward. Dr. G

Follow-up: How accurate is PCR and DNA test for detecting HIV? 3 hours later
Many thanks dr. Wish you happy 2014

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you. Detailed Answer: have a very happy new year as well. Thanks again for sharing your healthcare concerns with me. Dr. G