Had pain behind ankle bone, noticed blue lump under skin and looked like blood under skin on leg

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Three years ago, I had severe pain behind my left anke bone. I went to two different doctors and they assured me it wasn't a blood clot, I had nothing to worry about. Shortly after, I found a blue lump under the skin at the same spot. I ignored it since the doctors assured me it wasn't a blood clot. Two days later, I looked down at my leg and the lump was gone, but it look like it had moved to the front of my knee and busted. There was blood underneath my skin all the way down my leg. Every since then, off and on I have severe itching above the left ankle. Could you help me with this. Thank you
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks as there is problem allergic component.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.
As per your symptoms it looks as there was problem of varicose veins.
I will advise you to go for venous colour Doppler if you still have any swelling.
If skin condition is normal you can use compressive stockings. Laser treatment has good role in such case and may reduce your itching.

Another possibility may be abnormal blood clot due to platelet dysfunction. May be you were not aware of your platelet problem but it was still there underlying.
You may need to investigate for pattern of platelet dysfunction, and infusion of factors [platelet] may be required.[platelet XXXXXXX plasma]

Itching suggest underlying allergic reaction. There can be certain allergen component leading severe itching. You may need to find any allergen in your blood by test.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.