Had oocyte freezing. On periods, ovary had 1 follicle. Given Recagon 300 for 5 days along with Luveris injections. Suggestions?

Infertility Specialist
Hi I went for oocyte freezing at the age of 36 yrs in XXXXXXX 2013. That time when i was considering it, my AMH was 0.4 ng/ml, LH was 2.68 and FSH was 6.50 and E2 was 70.59 something. But by the time I decided to go ahead with it, my E2 was 48, LH was 5.89, FSH was 16.8. I was given Overall G for 20 days, then Gonal F 225 injections , but hardly got 2-3 follicles and E2 was 32, LH 12.4 and endometrium 3.3 mm. Cycle was cancelled.

Then on 7th Aug 2013, 4th day of my periods, my Endometrium ws 3 mg, E@ 135, P 3.8, LH 3.7, FSH 9.96. Right ovary that time had 3 follciles - 17, 5, 5 mm. I was given overall L for 20 days and DHEA for 2 months.

On 3th-4th day of my periods then (Sep 4, 2013), each ovary had 1 follicle with Endometrium 2 mg, E 73.7, P 1.1, LH 3.94, FSH 16.6. I was given Recagon 300 for 5 days and then no follicle was seen (dont know where did those 2 follicles went). I was still asked to contiue with Recagon 300 for 3 more days along with Luveris 75 injections for those 3 days. On next day (12th day of periods), the right ovary showed 13 mm of one elongated follicle. I am now told to discontinue all of this and have been prescribed Tablet Meprate 10 mg (twice daily) for 5 days and Lupride 0.5 ml (20 units) injections every morning.

I have been told this is to supress some hormones. Could you explain me the process and how are these going to help now and what will be the future course of action? What should I expect out of these medicines. Do I have a chance?

Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
low chances

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX, reproductive potential of woman starts reducing slowly after 30 years age. goes down rapidly after 35 years age. Your AMH is low and FSH is high which shows your egg reserve is very low and you have chances of achieving menopause earlier. This happens in some women and probably happening to you. With GnRH agonist hormones they are downregulating your hormones to suppress them and they will add hormonal injections in high doses to try to get eggs. I am afraid this also wont work. Your egg reserve is low and it cant be improved. Even if they get some eggs, they will be of low quality. Egg freezing is difficult and still evolving field. Chances of retrieving viable eggs from frozen eggs is difficult in such case as yoyrs even if they freeze eggs. Hence in my opinion, it is advisable to stop trying this process as it has high probability of failure. I am being little blunt and straight forward. Please excuse me for the same. Get back to me if there are more doubts. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF &Infertility Specialist
Follow-up: Had oocyte freezing. On periods, ovary had 1 follicle. Given Recagon 300 for 5 days along with Luveris injections. Suggestions? 2 days later
Thanks so much Doctor for your response. I have decided not to go for it. Playing with hormones definitely bothers me.

Is the technique of producing eggs through ovarian stem cells used successfully anywhere in the world? If yes, could you provide me details of it and your advice whether the same can be considered in case i would like to go for it after i get married and want to have kids.

Also, in the mean time, should I take some multi vitamins/calcium/folic acid or any other herb that would help me becoming healthier and to have better chances of pregnancy later in life (even if i use donor eggs later). I have thyroid, so i am advised to take Spirex (calcium tables) twice a week which I will start.

Thanks in advance, XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
None as of now

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX, unfortunately there is no science including stem cells which might help you in producing eggs as of now. Though research is progressing in a fruitful direction, no XXXXXXX of hope as of now. Hence i cant referel you to any such facility as of now. I don't advise you to take any medicines for improving follicles as there are none scientifically proved as of now. If you are having thyroud problems, you have to get medicines accordingly. No use of calcium in this. Only advice i would personally give is to concentrate on marriage and get married soon so that you can plan pregnancy sooner. You have already crossed good age of conception. It will become difficult later. I hope you understand. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility Specialist.