Had loss of appetite, nausea, diarrhoea due to food poisoning. Getting strange bowel movement. Took imodium

it all started on the 2 March when I ate sushi and I had food poisoning, it lasted for 3 days had the symptoms of loss of appetite nausea and diarrhoea, my bm returned to normal, for a week after that I ate chickpeas curry and had an explosive bm, then bowels returned to normal for a week, after that I had eaten late at night some dried apples with an empty stomach , in the morning I had a normal bm, after that I had a very explosive with pain BM felt better after that but in the toilet I noticed that the apples had not been digested, BM returned to normal for a week, after that I had shrimp cocktail with corn and smoked fish, I had mushy green diarrhoea that lasted for 3 days, having taken Imodium I had days that I had no BM and for 2 days my BM were normal, today I had in the morning a normal BM and in half an hour a mushy BM and late at night an another BM an hour ago I had mushy with watery diarrhoea - had 3 immodium today - having said that I had a lot of carob syrup with hot water and on its own yesterday as I believed it would help regulated my bowels, last week my bowel where green but I did have a lot of green mint tea that was very dark those days the day before and today they were brown in colour and the watery last BM brown with yellow - what could this be, it is also to be noted that I feel that my gut is overactive, making so much noises, whenever I have incidents like this my bowels do return to normal have not had constipation, ever, having said that sometimes I do notice some rabbit pallet looking stools but never had to pass, whenever I have a BM I have it done within minutes never had difficulties, but the this chronic diarrhoea has affected my life, and the funny thing is it always starts on a Friday end of the week, being the starting point of 2 March when I had the food poisoning
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 7 hours later
Hello, XXXXXX,
Thank you for your complicated queiry with lots of issues.
According to your history the whole thing started after you
had ingested Sushi. You every time you have diarrhea, you
describe it as explosive. First time , you definitely had a case
of food poisoning . Most likely culprit with sea foods are
Giardia Lamblia, a flagellate organism. You might initially
recover ,but the organism stays in your intestine and
multiplies and causes damage to the lining of the intestine.
This in turn causes malsbsorption and that is the reason for
explosive diarrhea with lot of bloating and gas. I notice that
you had flare up when you had shrimp dinner as well.
Just from your classic description of noisy belly and bloating,
I suspect you need to rule out giardia infection.
I want you to get your multiple stool samples tested for
ova and parasites , especially look for giardia cysts that are
seen under microscope. If this is present there are very effective
drugs such as Metronidazole and others , a course of which would
cure your condition.
Sometimes, after any kind of intestinal infection, a person could
develop Irritable Bowel Syndrome. You will have to think about that
I suggest that you start taking probiotics such as acidophillus or
Align etc daily to improve the good bacteria in the intestine.
Plain yogurt without fruits is good also, taken three times a day.
Also , get a sonogram of the gallbladder to see if you have any
gallstones. Giardia sometimes can stay in the gallbladder and
cause recurrent symptoms.
Stay away from fatty, greasy,fried foods for now and follow a
bland type of diet.
Hope this helps you and you can discuss with your own doctor.
I wish you the very best.
Follow-up: Had loss of appetite, nausea, diarrhoea due to food poisoning. Getting strange bowel movement. Took imodium 1 hour later
Thank you doctor I couldn't get a better professional answer like the above
i have a suspicion that i took a lot of carob syrup by ways of taking it with hot water as i think when i have it i tend to have mushy stools and a bit of watery diarrhoea, will eliminate it from my diet and will follow your instructions
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 15 minutes later

Hope you start feeling better soon. You definitely have to rule out Giardiasis to be sure.

I wish you the very best.