Had lighter coloured stools, no itching or yellowing of skin. Few weeks pregnant. Normal?

hi i'm 13 weeks pregnant and have noticed that i have had lighter coloured stools for the last couple/few weeks, there are no other symptoms like iching or yellowing of skin,can this be normal or should i see a doctor?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rishma Lakhani 37 minutes later

I would like to know whether the stools are completely white /clay colored?

If it is just light colored stools without any other symptoms, I don't think you need to worry. It is quite possible for the color to change on and off due to varied dietary intake.

Still, if you are very much concerned, I would advise you to go for a liver function test/LFT.

I would like to review with the reports.

Don't worry, take care.

Dr.Rishma Lakhani
Follow-up: Had lighter coloured stools, no itching or yellowing of skin. Few weeks pregnant. Normal? 12 minutes later
hi, no they are not white coloured, just a much paler brown, prhaps slightly clay/tan coloured, but not grey at all. They have been constantly that colour for a couple of weeks though so dont think its dietary. they are also slightly harder than normal, although i wouldn't say i am constipated as i am still going to the toilet daily.
Answered by Dr. Rishma Lakhani 1 hour later

I don't think you need to worry about the stool color.

The hard stools which you say are common in pregnancy due to hormone effect on intestine. If they are bothering you too much you can go for a laxative at night.

But if they are not causing much of a problem then you can try out with increasing your fluid intake, more fruits and vegetable intake and XXXXXXX warm water in the morning after you get up. That would help you a lot.

Dr.Rishma Lakhani