Had knee replacement and having itching sensation in feet. Should I be worried?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
after knee replacement my feet itched really bad and I peeled bad. just had a shoulder replaced and my body itched horribly and now my hands are peeling. Is this fron the what they pit me to sleep with and how can I stop it when I have the other shoulder done next month.
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possible reaction to skin prep. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. There are no anaesthetic drugs in common use that will cause this type of reaction. Your itching and skin reaction may possibly be caused by the skin preparation solution that is applied to the skin to sterilise it before the start of surgery. You may be sensitive to this. Iodine-based solutions are commonly used. Another possibility could be the dressing used. However, the site of the itching and peeling makes this less likely. Also, the hospital bed linen may be laundered in chemicals that you are sensitive to. I suggest you discuss the skin reaction with your nurses and surgeon when you are admitted for surgery. There are alternatives to iodine-based solutions that are equally effective. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA