Had kidney transplant done. On medicine. Started constipation and diarrhoea. How to get rid of this?

I rec'd a kidney transplant XXXXXXX 1. It is working fine, but I am having a hard time getting used to the drugs, especially Myfortic. I have to take 8/day, four in the AM and 4 in the PM. I have divided it into fourths, ie. 2 at a time. I also have been taking it either one hr before a meal or two hrs after. But it seems to disagree with my digestive tract, first there was constipation and now the runs. I am back to work now and worried that I won't make it to the bathroom in time. The folks in Post-Transplant just tell me to take Immodium. Is this the way it is always going to be?
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 8 hours later

I can appreciate your concern. What you are having one of the commonest side effect the drug Myfortic.

Myfortic contains the drug "Mycophenolate" and it is used in combination with other medications to keep your body from attacking and rejecting your transplanted kidney.

It belongs to a class of medications called immunosuppressants. This medication works by lowering your body's immune system activity.

Gastric problems are common with this kind of drugs. I do not see any reason for worry.

Your colleagues are right you can take Imodium at times for temporary relief. If your diarrhoea is heavy, bloody, or lasts for more than a day then you should get medical attention and at least speak to your doctor about this.
I hope this helps, please feel free to ask again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query please accept the answer.

Follow-up: Had kidney transplant done. On medicine. Started constipation and diarrhoea. How to get rid of this? 9 hours later
It has been off and on for over a month. Should I expect this to continue indefinitely? It is not that easy to live with. XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 6 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

Normally the side effects are dose dependent.

Just try to speak to your doctor once .He might adjust dose which can help.

In mean time please take imodium as and when required.