Had hit on toe. Knuckle is still discoloured and enlarged. Is this normal?

Nov 2013

I hyper extended my big toe about two and a half months ago, the knuckle is still discolored and enlarged is this normal? The pain level is not high compared to what it used to be, however from time to time the pain arrives still.
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
First of all, let me reassure you that your findings mentioned above could be the normal course of illness and nothing to get worried about.
During hyper extension of big toe, some sprain may have occurred, leading to discoloration (due to soft tissue bleeding), and swelling (due to inflammation). This can take from a few weeks up to few months to completely heal.
You could take analgesics such as ibuprofen to reduce the swelling and pain.
Mostly, no investigations are necessary. However, an X-ray of the affected area may be done to ensure there is no minor fracture, etc.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM