Had hit on temple, head swollen. CAT scan normal. Have hematoma and puffy eyes. Is it due to injury?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I fell down the stairs and hit my right upper temple. My head was really really swollen in the right temple area, and I had a Cat Scan as a result, which the ER doctor said showed no brain bleeding or skull fracture. I have a hematoma still on my right temple, but it is much smaller than it was. However, 2 days after the accident, I now have 2 black eyes and puffiness underneath both eyes. Is this normal, and a result of my head injury? I definitely did not hit the front of my face but my eyes seem to be getting increasingly puffy. Do I need to be seen again?
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The presence of black eyes is suggestive of a hematoma formation behind the eyes. An impact on one side of head causes a rebound injury to the other side of the cerebrum when it hits the hard skull. This has given rise to the symptoms behind the eyes.
If you can consult a physician easily then it is best to get yourself examined for any neurological deficits and an MRI scan to detect the cause of hematoma. You can also self monitor yourself for any deterioration in the symptoms like unconsciousness, severe headache, blurred vision, bleeding from eyes, nose or ears, vomiting, etc in which case you need to rush to ER immediately.
Meanwhile you can do a hot compress on the eyes and take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for relief.
In case the puffiness keeps on increasing along with a blurred vision, do visit your physician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.