Had hit on head. On antibiotic for sinusitis. Why am I feeling dizzy and stiffness in neck?

Nov 2013

hello, 3 weeks ago I hit my head on a hardwood desk, I don't know if I had a concussion. I had sinusitis for 2 weeks after that and had 10 days of antibiotics. 2 nights ago I hit my head again on the back of an armchair. It didn't hurt because it was cushioned but I felt a little stunned from it. I woke up today feeling dizzy and my neck is stiff. I don't know why I am dizzy?
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
You have suffered from two instances of mild head injury in the recent past.
At present you have dizziness. This is most likely related to mild head injury. There is a condition called as concussion, where there is no serious issue, but patients complain of dizziness and sometimes, mild confusion.
This is a self-limiting condition and responds well to symptomatic treatment in a few days. You can take medications such as betahistine (16 mg thrice daily) or cinnarizine (25 mg thrice daily) to get relief from dizziness.
Stiffness of the neck could be due to spasm of muscles. You could apply any pain killer gels and take help from a physiotherapist.
As of now, there is no need to worry. You should get well in a few days. If the symptoms persist or worsen, you could consult a doctor.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Had hit on head. On antibiotic for sinusitis. Why am I feeling dizzy and stiffness in neck? 9 minutes later
hello, thank you for your response, I forgot to mention that I've had jaw pain and stiffness as well which was present before I hit my head the second time. Concussion could cause dizziness but I have no other symptoms of concussion.
The mayo clinic says these are the symptoms of concussion,

Concentration and memory complaints
Irritability and other personality changes
Sensitivity to light and noise
Sleep disturbances
Psychological adjustment problems and depression
Disorders of taste and smell
Headache or a feeling of pressure in the head
Temporary loss of consciousness
Confusion or feeling as if in a fog
Amnesia surrounding the traumatic event
Dizziness or "seeing stars"
Ringing in the ears
Nausea or vomiting
Slurred speech

I only have dizziness. Can you tell me if you think it is definitely a concussion if I only have dizziness 2 days later? It might be from something else?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for getting back.
The symptoms listed above are for severe concussion. In your case, it is a very milder form. Moreover, I agree with you, that in true sense, your symptoms are too mild to qualify as concussion. So, the correct nomenclature for someone like you could be- "post-traumatic vertigo", where dizziness is the only complaint.
The symptoms are likely to be related to mild head injury. However, if symptoms persist, you would require an evaluation to determine, if there are any other reasons for dizziness in your case.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)