Had hit on head. Having severe headache. Any ideas? How to get relief?

I hit my head while water skiing last week and had a severe headache. It went away but when my wife and I try to have sex, the same type of severe headache reoccurs. Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
It seems that you have suffered a minor concussion due to the head injury.
Having sex raises your intracranial pressure and this causes the headache in the already injured area. It is best to avoid having sex for a fortnight so that the concussion heals properly.
If you can consult a physician easily then it is best to get yourself examined for any neurological deficits. You can also self monitor yourself for any deterioration in the symptoms like unconsciousness, severe headache, blurred vision, bleeding from eyes, nose or ears, vomiting, etc in which case you need to rush to ER immediately.
Meanwhile you can take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for relief.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.