Had hit on head. Bruise appeared and started vomiting. How long should I awake in case of concussion?

I hit my head on a wooden chair which knocked me to the ground, is showing a bruise only half hour later, a lump above my eye, when I got up I was sick in the sink but I haven't eaten all day, just finished work & was about to and that happened.. Don't think it's any reputable damage but my head is pounding, I was told I had to stay awake in case of concussion - how long for?
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. I can understand your concern for these symptoms. Since you are having a lump above the eye, you should be examined by a doctor once. There is no need to stay awake after a concussion but if you lose consciousness then it needs to be evaluated. Any subdural hematoma needs to be ruled out. Unlike in epidural hematomas, which are usually caused by tears in arteries, subdural bleeding usually results from tears in veins that cross the subdural space.

Symptoms of subdural hemorrhage have a slower onset than those of epidural hemorrhages because the lower pressure veins bleed more slowly than arteries. Thus, signs and symptoms may show up within 24 hours but can be delayed as much as 2 weeks

Most of the time, subdural hematomas occur around the tops and sides of the frontal and parietal lobes. I think a CT scan of head will definitely help in ruling out such sinister problems which can happen after a traumatic brain injury. Also keep an eye on any neurological symptoms or seizures. If they happen, consult ER at the earliest.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.