Had green laser TURP surgery. Constipated, no bowel movement. Any remedy, anal massage?

Hello, my husband had XXXXXXX laser TURP surgery on Monday, 4/30. He is now very constipated. He hasn't had a bowel movement since Saturday 4/28. Are there any over-the-counter remedies that you'd recommend? It is Saturday here. I'd like to do what I can this AM. I'm willing to do anal massage if that is recommended.
Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 2 hours later

Prostate and Rectum are in close contact. As your husband has had XXXXXXX laser TURP surgery of prostate a few days ago, you should not perform anal massage; besides anal massage does not increase peristalsis (bowel movements).

In this situation the best thing you can try is Enema. Many pre-packaged self given enemas are available in the market, with prelubricated nozzle. Enemas stimulate bowels, and after a set holding time, the patient expels faeces along with enema. Enemas are generally safe and you can try at home.

Laxatives can be helpful in normalizing bowel movements. 20 -30ml laxative syrups at night may be given for a few weeks.

Hope, I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Wish your Husband speedy recovery.