Had fracture in wrist. Having pain. Having Osgood-Schlatters disease in knees. Is the pain from stretching the area?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 16 year old daughter fractured her growth plate in her wrist about 2-3 years ago. She had a bit of a knock to her same wrist a couple of weeks ago and is having quite a bit of pain in it. It's an achy, sharp pain making it difficult to grip things. It does appear to be somewhat swollen. She does already have a growing disorder, Osgood-Schlatters Disease, in her knees, so I don't know if this, combined with a previous fracture to her wrist could cause a problem, during a growth spurt. She is fairly tall at 5'9 and still growing. Could a growth spurt with a slight knock cause either the growth plate to re-fracture, or would it just be pain from stretching that area?
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Re-fracture is possible

Detailed Answer:

Re-fracture of one of the wrist bones is quite possible. it might be not the growth plate this time as she is over 15 years old.
Osgood-Schlatter disease unlikely to be related to her current wrist problem.

I will recommend x-ray of the wrist to role out fracture,
If no fracture then she needs analgesia and gradual increase range of movements in the wrist.

wish her speedy recovery