Ask a Dentist   »  

Had done Crown and root canal, having cold sensitivity. Gums are swollen. Underlying cause?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Tooth #14 had a Crown & root canal in 2008. I am having sensitivity to cold when I eat in that area. My gums have swelled a little above that tooth. What are my options if there is some kind of infection on that tooth? i suspected that the crown was not set right when it was originally done. Thanks
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat crown assuming that the crown is flawed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, after reading your symptoms I feel there can be only 2 things..

First, the crown/cap on your tooth is impinging on your gums or has created a pocket causing food lodgement resulting in pain. In this case you need to get the cap changed.

Secondly, there might be some residual infection in your old root canal causing pain and swelling, which may need to be redone. but this can only be confirmed with an X-ray by your dentist.

I would recommend that you visit your dentist for the needful.

Meanwhile you can take a mild pain killer for symptomatic relief.

Hope you feel better soon. regards.