Had dog bite on finger. Took anti rabies vaccine. On thyronorm. Injections will protect? Can take non-veg food?

Nov 2013

My daughter 9 yr old had a stray dog(1.5 month old pup) bite 2 days ago,between her thumb and the forefinger.she took her anti rabies vaccine ratipur yesterday which is the first dose of total five injections along with tetvac and another injection Berirab on the spot of the bite.
She is on thyronorm 50 mg since 1.5 yrs for hypothyrodism.Now I heard from an elderly person that non veg food should not eaten for a few weeks ...Is this a myth or is there any significance to this..? secondly are all these procedures safe without any side effects? Will these injections protect my child 100%.???few weeks.It is making us very anxious.pls answer.thanks.
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.
First of all, I would like to reassure you that there is no need to worry, and your child would get 100% protection against tetanus and rabies with these vaccines.
Also, these vaccines are totally safe and we do not expect any adverse effects.
There is no scientific basis for avoiding non veg foods in this situation, and she can have them, if she wishes.
Please let her continue her thyroid medications.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM