Had concussion and developed post-concussion syndrome. On gabapentin. How to wean off the drug without side effect?

Neurologist, Surgical
I had a concussion about 9 months ago and developed post-concussion syndrome and they put me on gabapentin, I have two questions. 1. How effective is this drug in the treatment of post-concussion syndrome? and 2. I have been starting to have some rather startling and severe side effects to the drug and would like to know how to wean myself off of the drug without suffering from withdrawals symptoms?
wanted to give you more health information. I have allergies to penicillin, sulfa, pseudoephedrine and have celiac disease
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 2 hours later

1. Gabapentin is effective in treating post concussion syndrome. But, if you are not able to tolerate the drug, there are alternative drugs e.g. Tryptomer, available for treating post concussion syndrome.

2. Your injury is quite old one now. If your symptoms have come down your doctor can definitely wean off the medication or alternative medications can be tried.

I would suggest you to see your treating doctor for the evaluation.

I hope, this answers your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.