Had cold, having mucus in back of throat and pain in ear. Could this be a bacterial infection?

Yes, I had a very bad cold several months ago and recovered within 2-3 weeks. However, I still have mucous that is in the back of my throat which can be very thick at times. What concerns me is that the mucous although primarily white has a hard greenish crusty center with slight blood streaks. I've also noticed over the past few months a recurring intermittent sharp stabbing pain in my left ear as well as intermittent intense itching. Any advice would be appreciated.
Could this be a bacterial infection? An allergic reaction.
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later

Cold is usually caused by Viruses and Viruses tend to reduce the local immunity for some time .This lowered immunity makes one prone for secondary bacterial infections.

The problem you have could be due to secondary bacterial infections.

I suggest you to gargle with antiseptic solution like CHLORHEXIDINE twice daily after food. This will reduce the bacterial burden in your throat and relieve you from the mucous. If there is no relief seen then taking antibiotics would be essential.

The ear problem could not be related to the throat problem , but getting it examined would be necessary here.Dried Wax also can present with intense itching.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.