Had bone grafting for back injury. Bowl and bladder do not function. Can Stem cell therapy help?
User rating for this question
I am : Male 43 Had accident 13 yrs ago. Fell 25 feet, broke L1 Surgery repaired back by grafting bone from hip 2 Titanium plates with 4 screws are still in place I could always walk, however my bowl and bladder do not function. I XXXXXXX daily and manage my bowels with laxatives. Bowl and bladder is tight. My toes are curled under tight as well. Question: is there any stem cell treatment that cures this nerve damage and scar tissue , which I presume is blocking any signals ? Or is there any other treatment that can cure me? Thanks for listening. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Stem cell therapy has role in spinal cord injury Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Stem cell therapy has role in cord compression injury, But in your case duration from from injury is long 13 years, so out put after therapy can’t be commented. You need to continue supportive therapy as You can do yoga, exercises and focus on spine extension exercises. Medication like methylcobalamine And also check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. You may consult physiotherapist for guidance. He may start TENS, or ultrasound which is helpful in your case. If required you can use orthotic supportive brace for improving walking. Newer modalities under trial include Condroitin sulfate proteoglycans (CSPGs) are expressed in excess when SCIs occur. These proteins inhibit axon growth, leading to such things as paralysis. CSPGs are induced by transform growth factor beta (TGFß) and epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR). Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care
People also viewed
- Long-term effects of epilim
- Will metoprolol succinate er treat left ventricular hypertrophy ?
- Carbidopa levodopa 10 100
- Long-term use of aricept
- I am suffering from arthritis, osteoarthritis, can i take excedrin?
- Is dexamethasone intensol used in the treatment of iridocyclitis?
- I am suffering from human papilloma virus, can i take tagamet hb?
- Landing on your back injury
- Lyrica pregabalin weight gain
- Back injury compensation amounts
- Common back injuries
- Back injury settlements article
- Adverse effects of dopamine
- Symptoms of severe back injury
- I am suffering from crigler najjar syndrome, can i take solfoton?