Is sleep numbness in finger tips related to enlarged ascending aorta?

I am being watched for an enlarged ascending aorta. This was caused by years with a bicuspid aorta valve (which has since been replaced). I have recently developed sleep numbness in my fingers. Could it be related to the ascending aorta?
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fingers' numbness is not due to ascending aorta Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXX, Thanks for your query. Numbness in fingers is not due to ascending aorta. There are four possible causes of numbness in fingers:- 1. Compression over the nerves near the wrist, by way of collected fat compressing them against the wrist bones (called Carpel Tunnel Syndrome) 2. Compression by the shoulder joint, over the web of nerves (called Brachial Plexus) which supplies the fingers and arms. It is somewhat similar to 'Saturday Night Palsy' , a condition in which- following a binge of alcohol- the individual sleeps in a lopsided posture and, thereby pressing the Brachial Plexus against the shoulder joint bones. This compression causes transient paralysis of the nerves with consequent numbness in fingers. It is more common in those who are grossly obese. 3. Damage to nerves as a diabetic complication (called Diabetic Polyneuropathy). 4. Compression over the spinal cord or the emerging nerves in the neck region , due to either, disc herniation or narrowed spinal canal. Hence, you should :- * try sleeping straight instead of on either side. * Take high dose of Vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin) - 1500micrograms/day * Thyroid problem commonly co-exist with diabetes, particularly in the presence of overweight. Get thyroid hormone profile done to rule-out/detect thyroid problem. * Consult a general surgeon/orthopedic specialist for evaluating you for the possibility of carpal tunnel syndrome or cervical disc herniation (Cervical spondylitis). * Maintain a tight control over your Blood Pressure, so as to keep it <120/80 * Above all, an ideal diabetic control would delay the progression of its complications. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at the root cause and treat accordingly. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal