Had a rotten egg. What are the risks? What to do?

Question
What do I do if I ate a rotten egg? 2 hours ago I ate 2 eggs which I believe were rotten. Can I do anything to eliminate the normal reaction of vomiting, nausea, etc.
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 4 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

I would suggest that treatment be taken in case you have any symptoms from eating the rotten eggs.

If it was immediately after eating the rotten eggs, inducing vomiting might have helped. But right now, inducing vomiting won't help, as it has already been 4 -5 hours since you have eaten it.

I am going to be optimistic and hope that that the eggs you ate are not rotten and you hopefully wont have any symptoms. But even if you do, it should subside in 2-3 days.

If you have any symptoms like vomiting ,you can take Domperidone (Domstal) 10mg 1 tablet half an hour before food 3 times a day for 2 days.

Make sure you drink warm water at regular intervals.

If there is severe dehydration, diarrhoea /vomiting , fever ,you will have to visit a hospital.

I hope I have answered your question. Please do get back to me if you have further queries.

Have a great day :)

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Had a rotten egg. What are the risks? What to do? 15 minutes later
How soon should the symptoms commence if I am going to get sick? So far, I feel fine.

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 21 minutes later

It is a good thing that you are fine so far.

Symptoms may start from anywhere between 4 - 48 hours after spoilt food.

If the eggs were spoilt , you would have smelled /tasted it different. How did you manage to eat it? What made you think that it is rotten? just curious :)

If you have any symptoms like vomiting /diarrhoea ,rehydration is the key., with electrolytes(ORS) , cooked rice water etc.

Lactobacillus/probiotics might also help .

Follow-up: Had a rotten egg. What are the risks? What to do? 1 hour later
My wife came home and discovered the eggs, which she had previously hard boiled, were bad and threw them away. Then she discovered that I had eaten two eggs which I had used to make egg salad. Due to allergies, I could not smell that they were bad and did not notice any discoloration. I am still not suffering any symptoms.

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 11 hours later
Thanks for the reply..

Hoping that you don't have any symptoms . Good luck..

Do get back to me if you have any further queries.

Have a great day.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan