Had a rash. Diagnosed with lyme disease. Had antibiotics. Having headache and joint pain. Treatment?

my 20 yo son was bit by a tic, had a rash, went to ER. blood test confirmed lyme disease, they prescribed him a month of antibiotics.. he has headaches and joint pain. what treatment does he need and from which type of doctor. he has been trying to fight this disease naturally by no dairy products, gluten free diet and organic produce. I have no guidance for him as I know nothing about this disease. please help is get started on a good plan of action and perhaps a good site about Lyme disease. we live in a rural area so if a specific doc is needed, we will travel. the internet info is helpful but harmful if we XXXXXXX t know the source. other than this recent diagnosis he is in good health. crohn disease is in our family his 18 yo brother has it, and his maternal grandmother has it also. just wanted you to be aware. thank you for your guidance. he is quite concerned.
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 7 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
The history, symptoms and blood test reports all are suggestive of Lyme's disease.
The ideal doctor will be a local physician of my speciality that is a specialist of XXXXXXX medicine.
The disease is of serious nature and the bacteria enters from tick bite in skin and from there it goes in the blood.
Do not try to control it with by natural or any unproven means because it will delay the treament.
You should consult an XXXXXXX medicine physician, he will prescribe antibiotics like Doxicycline, Pipracillin+tazobactum etc and other supportive medicines for over a month duration.
Medicines must be taken very regularly.
The Crohn disease in the family would not affect the treatment or the outcome of this disease.
I hope the advise will be informative and helpful for you.
Follow-up: Had a rash. Diagnosed with lyme disease. Had antibiotics. Having headache and joint pain. Treatment? 24 minutes later
thank you doctor for addressing my concern. What other support ibr meds are used after the antibiotics. How is this disease treated over the long term. What symptoms are common and which are serious and would call for urgent care. Is this disease progressive in nature without having any obvious symptoms. Are drugs like humara or biological meds used to halt progression? Having this serious disease at a young age, what can he expect his prognosis to be? Is this an autoimmune disease? Is there a reliable website you can reccomend for us to get more educated? Are there research studies available to perhaps try? How soon must he see an XXXXXXX medicine doctor as yourself? If he was not initially strictly taking his antibiotics, the first you wrote about, may he start them again? He has a 6 week supply. thank you again for your guidance and support. Sincerely, Julia Pappas
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 13 hours later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The supportive treatment is used along with the antibiotics and not after that, these medicines increase the comfort of the patient and decrease the intensity of disease burden like they reduce fever, tiredness, improve sleep, energy and appetite etc.
Symptoms are very many like headache, prostration, fever, rash, loss of appetite, feeling tired all the time, bleeding tendency etc.
disease is progressive in nature and can lead to poor outcome if left untreated, treatment of choice is appropriate antibiotics and unproven therapies like humara need not be considered.
it is not an autoimmune disease and can be cured fully with antibiotics.
with treatment prognosis is good.
WWW.WWWW.WW is a premium website I trust most.
You should see the XXXXXXX medicine doctor as soon as possible for you.
He should get all the medicines before handly and store them appropriately and discontinuity may spoil the result to any extent.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Follow-up: Had a rash. Diagnosed with lyme disease. Had antibiotics. Having headache and joint pain. Treatment? 55 minutes later
Thank you doctor. I have learned that this is an infectious disease and that there are still many unknown things to be discovered through research . It also seems to have contraversy surrounding it among the professionals as to whether one is "cured" or that some patients have chronic Lyme disease continuing to tissue damage, MS, fatigue etc. It seems divided into 2 camps. If a person is cured how is it possible to have that specific antibodies in their plasma later, the "B.._ bacteria that is associated with Lyme s? I recall doctors not recognizimg fibromyalgia for many years, some believed the patients symptoms were in their head, yet now it is recognized as a true disorder that can be disabling in nature. The same may be said further about Lyme s. The E.R. doc told my son about cases of paralysis and joint problem s caused by Lyme but told my son he did not believe most of these case s, he felt it was a ploy for people to get approval of disability. that the patient s probably exaggerated their symptoms for that reason. I appreciate your time. Holistic treatment as well as traditional medicine may help some symptoms? For instance a supplement may ease joint pain and be less harm than NSAIDs ? I will get him t SN intermal Med. doc asap. This topic is too broad for discussion with you and seems like it may not interest you, or I have burdened you with too much:-) I will look into the website. thanks again. Also I was hoping for a free info website not one I have to pay for info on a common disease.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 11 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
Science as you can know by its recent history, is in evolution.
When you go in too much details of something the things seem going haywire- whether electron is a particle or a wave, what is the essence of the universe, the God, the Energy or the Mass, What is the best method to treat a disease!
With unnecessary details confusion and controversy is bound to come.
Practically Lyme disease is a bacterial infection by Borrelia and it is to be treated with recommended antibiotics and auxiliary medicines and there is no scope of unproven so-called Traditional systems, there is no confusion about it if tout see the success record of modern medicine.
He should get full treatment asap and later you can cater the controversial points. Patent safety is first concern.
Lyme, MS and Fibromyalgia are the conditions on which big volumes are written, obviously it is not practical to discuss those on this portal for obvious reason.
I disagree that the headache and joint problems are only feigned symptoms, I have seen patients with these very symptoms but yes due to subjectivity of symptoms few patients may pursue wasted interests.
If you do not want a premium website then tout can go for merckmanual online resource.
I hope the advise will be helpful.