Had a dog scratch by its nail in the leg. Chances of rabies infection ?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
hello ..i am XXXXXXX.......In 2002 a dog scratch by his nail in my leg...........is there any chance of getting rabies infected now,?
Is there any test available to check whether i am rabies infected or not?
please give the answer,
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

It is not possible for you to be suffering from rabies now after a period of 10 years.

Unfortunately there is no such test.

The actual test is that if the dog that has bitten a person unprovoked dies within 10 days and then if the brain of that animal reveals the presence of negri bodies then that confirms the diagnosis of rabies in the animal.

However in the humans who have been bitten by a dog it is always a standard practice to start both active as well as passive protection by way of vaccination.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Had a dog scratch by its nail in the leg. Chances of rabies infection ? 16 hours later
To,
Dr. XXXXXXX Vagholkar...........
sir please help me to clear my idea of above question

i had not taken any vaccine on that time...

are you sure that after 10 years there is no chance that i get rabies infected

sir please confirm me

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 6 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

I understand your anxiety.

The chances of acquiring rabies after a scratch by the nail after 10 years are almost nil. But still if you have the anxiety you can take shots of the new HDCS (Human Diploid Cell) vaccine.

Wish you good Health.

Follow-up: Had a dog scratch by its nail in the leg. Chances of rabies infection ? 2 hours later
sir
please tell me now after 10 years if i get this vaccine......the chances of rabies infection is it nil. I am from westbengal,I live in near kolktata..,so where i have to contact to get the vaccine..that i can take this vaccine as soon as possible

sir please help me

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 31 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXXA,
Once you take the full course of vaccination, the chances of developing rabies is nil.
I do not have any idea about Calcutta , but in any metro city, most of the leading chemists do stock these vaccines. Otherwise, the vaccine is available at all teaching government hospitals. You can buy the vaccine and ask your family doctor to administer it.
I hope I have clarified your doubt.
With Regards

Follow-up: Had a dog scratch by its nail in the leg. Chances of rabies infection ? 3 hours later
sir thanks for helping me
but still i have one question that the incident took place 10 years ago....
so is there any chance that i will be affected by rabies infection now.?

and if I get the HDCS vaccine it will cure me from 10 years back incident
My family doctor told me there is no chance that after 10 years i wil get rabies infected.so he says dont need take this vaccine.But I need your assurence.

Please help me

Dear XXXXXXX,
The typical incubation period for rabies is between 2 to 3 months if beaten by a rabid animal.However in a select few rare cases the incubation period may extend beyond 1 year. Therefore in your case the chances of develpoing rabies is miniscule or rather not at all. However if you have continuos anxiety pertaining to the incident I would suggest that you go in for a vaccination schedule which will protect you from developing the disease both ways.
If you have any more doubts please do ask me.
With regards.

Follow-up: Had a dog scratch by its nail in the leg. Chances of rabies infection ? 4 hours later
thanks again

sir after getting your reply i have contact with a chemist for the vaccine,He said me there is no such vaccine that can be given after 10 years of the incident

please tell me what should I tell to chemist or to the doctor about the vaccine

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 13 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

The vaccine which you will be taking will stimulate antibodies which will protect you from developing rabies in the future. You can discuss with your physician about future prevention and can get the vaccination.

As you have not developed any symptom for the last 10years, it is not possible for you to be in the incubation period for so long.

I hope this answers your query. Do close the discussion if all your queries are answered.

Wish you good health.