Had PSA and prostatitis. Taking avodart and flomax. What is causing low testostrone level?

I am 63. I had a PSA that was 6.5, normal DRE, and Moderate BPH. I had two bioposies 4 years ago negative. I told Dr. again I felt like I had bacteria. He started me on Avodart and Flomax. In 1 month my level had dropped to 4.4. He said continue on for 5-6 months come back and recheck PSA. Sounded good to me.

Now, about two years ago I began testostrone replacement with low level about 220. My levels have been about 500 since on the last few checks, but this time I had the blood work in the afternoon and I was two days before my next shot. Also, I have likely been drinking to much wine the past 6 months. What is the likely culprit of my low testostrone? Any correlation between PSA, prostatitis, and low level? What should I do?
Would patch be better?? the 6. 5 was 6 months ago and 4.5 was 5 months ago.
Thank you
Posted Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 5 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Low testosterone is related to age and needs replacement is needed if found to be low to restore general and sexual health.
Serum PSA is most commonly high in cancer of the prostate, but prostatitis can also cause a rise.
When testosterone withdrawal is done either medically or surgically as a treatment option for cancer prostate ( not your case), PSA drops to very low levels and serial PSA estimate is used as a marker for recurrence of the disease.
In your situation, since the biopsy has been repeatedly negative and testosterone been low, the approach (testosterone replacement and repeat PSA at 6 months) sounds scientific.
Testosterone in oral form is also available which has better absorption rates and blood levels do not fluctuate much.
Patch, gel and injections have variable absorption rates and hence blood levels.
Hope this helps. Kindly do write back for doubts if any,
Wish you good health
Follow-up: Had PSA and prostatitis. Taking avodart and flomax. What is causing low testostrone level? 25 hours later
Thank you for your response. Is there any explainable reason for my drop in testostrone from 500 to 210?? I have been taking the shot every two weeks. It was afternoon when my blood was drawn and only 2 days until I was due for my next shot. Could that explain the difference? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Injections are known to cause fluctuation in the levels of testosterone and hence research suggests ORAL FORM is the best of the lot till now. I had mentioned this earlier.
Hope this answers your query. Wishing you good health,
Best regards,