HIV positive patient. Having dime sized lump behind left ear on skull. Should I be worried?

HIV AIDS Specialist
HIV + Undetectable and very healthy. I have had a dime sized lump behind my left ear on my skull for over 6 months now. It is raised and feels like a a hard fat deposit attached to my skull where the lower part of my eat meets the skull.
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Swelling needs further investigations Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX I understood that you are HIV positive and viral load is undetectable. Your viral load is undetectable with ART or without ART? If it is with ART how long are you on ART? What is your CD4 COUNT? As far as the swelling behind the ear, the picture sent by you has a lower clarity. I can see some engorged veins over the skin of the swelling. It indicates unusual stretching of vessels on the swelling. With less harm swelling like a sebaceous cyst, lipoma there will not be engorged veins. I would like to know whether it is a compressible swelling. If it is so, it could be vascular in origin. Other swellings need further investigations like an X-ray, CTor MRI scan, Biopsy to fix the diagnosis. It is better to meet your physician or a surgeon preferably and follow their advice. As you viral load is under control and undetectable level, this not necessarily be due to HIV or immune-deficiency. Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: HIV positive patient. Having dime sized lump behind left ear on skull. Should I be worried? 4 minutes later
Thanks Doctor I now recall that my Doc mentioned Sebaceous cyst. Can you advise if the procedure to remove this is simple and done in any clinic?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Removal of sebaceous cyst is a simple procedure. Detailed Answer: Hi Jet, Welcome back. If it is a sebaceous cyst then it is not related to your HIV disease. Sebaceous cyst is a harmless condition. It can be removed by any surgeon as a minor procedure. Very easy procedure. It is due to the collection of normal sebum,which could not come out due to some block. This has to be removed totally as a sac. Then it will not collect further and your swelling will not recur. Dr S.Murugan